September 18

Another Year Begins

Actually, I am a month into school. I have completed one four-week unit centering around the Holocaust to prepare the students in the upper school for their trip to Washington, D.C., earlier this month. I’m starting the new units now: Beowulf and Anglo-Saxon poetry in English IV’ short stories, featuring a mini unit on Edgar Allan Poe’s short stories in English II; Native American and early American literature in English III; and Where the Red Fern Grows with my seventh grade ELA class. My yearbook staff is hard at work selling ads and preparing the page ladder. The photographers are scurrying around taking pictures of the various classes and related activities. In all, this month has been busy!

And I am learning new things. The faculty has been encouraged to use Google Classroom. There is so much to learn, but I like it! I really do. What is surprising me is how many students are resistant to learning the new technology. And I thought I was the one to be reluctant! The conventional wisdom is to let the students teach the teacher. Well, it’s not working that way in my classroom!

Here is what I like about Google Classroom.

1. I can post assignments in advance, and students can work on them at their own pace.
  2. I don’t have to keep up with remembering to give absent students their assignments. They can easily see them in the Classroom.
  3. I can give students digital copies of handouts. If students lose a printed handout, they have access to it to print a replacement.
  4. Students can hand in work via the Classroom. I can work virtually paperless!
  5. Google Classroom allows me to grade online, post the grades, and later print out a spreadsheet to transfer grades to the electronic grade book used by the school.
  6. Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Forms, and Google Slides all “play nice” with the Classroom.

I think this will be a great tool as we all get used to it. I will be researching more uses of this platform as the year goes on.

I would like to know how you are using Google Classroom with your students in your classroom.

Copyright © 2018. All rights reserved.

Posted September 18, 2018 by Olivia in category Uncategorized

About the Author

I am a wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, and great-aunt. I have been married for nearly 35 years and have two grown sons, one of whom is a teacher and the other is a carpenter (and I'm proud of them both). In my spare time, I read, hike, and photograph nature. I also dabble at writing.